Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Sun..Fun...Blodirun

This summer was very different from last summer. Last summer, I was injured and at home. So I ended up doing some constructive work for my research. This time around, summer was magnificence to the max. For readers in Chennai the importance of 'summer' is unknown...but here it makes a huge difference. Summer is when we can go out in actual non-Eskimo clothes. Summer is the best time of the year since it's truly when the grass is green. But I have enjoyed this summer too much to my liking that it has pushed me to the limits of complacency. Most of my friends here in Minneapolis started to leave in May after making a job, in California invariably. So essentially it was one guy's treat or the other. We had a party everyday. We bought a PS2 and played soul calibur (a weapons fighting game) and virtually beat the crap outta each other. I have some videos of my friends making really funny faces while playing this, that I now understand why Rajinikanth thinks he needs to make that face when he's fighting. In the evenings we would play soccer which was great fun. In short I was so hard-pressed for time to do research. To make things worse, I joined our tennis ball cricket team which played some 'serious cricket' in a local league that comprised teams filled with imported TCSians, Infoscions and CTSians. Only that they preferred to be known as working for Walmart or BestBuy. What they failed to realize was that Walmart and BestBuy are nothing but the Saravana Stores and Vasanth & Co. of the USA. Anyways we were actually the defending champs of this tournament but we got our asses kicked in the second round and didn't make it to the semi finals. One interesting trait of this series was that someone from our team dropped 2 catches in every match. I am proud that the roll of honor did pass on to me as well. I visited my friend in Michigan and got sloshed for the first time in my life there. I made some good friends there and got my first acquaintance to the World of Warcraft.

For people who are unaware of this game, here's a south park episode on it.

http://www.southparkzone.com/episode-vid-1008.htm. It's called Make Love not Warcraft :D.

This episode actually won the emmy award. (What's happening to this world? :O). Now from then on I saw an interesting parallel between the world of warcraft and the 'real' world ( Please avoid elaborate discussions on the meaning of the 'real world'. It's a term for convenience.) As Stan's father explains to his colleague in the South Park episode, in the real world I am Guruprasad Somasundaram, one of several research assistants to Professor Nikolaos Papanikolopoulos, helping the cause of Robotics of computer vision to develop humanity. But in the World of Warcraft, he is Blodirun the Night elf druid. He's a conjurer, he's a spell-caster. He lives and fights for the alliance against the Horde. He lives in harmony with nature and uses the power of nature in his spells and possesses polymorphism...OOPS. He 's level 34 now out of a possible end-game 73. Blizzard entertainment has produced an ultimate life killer in WoW. If unattended or ignored WoW can kill your actual life. Or so they say; I think it has made me philosophical. I believe in the concept of the Matrix more than ever. (I think the concept has a name I am sure). I am also Hugi the dwarf hunter who has a pet snow leopard. MPD is not a psychological problem in the WoW. I am also doing great financially. I have 50 gold.

Anyways, to know more about this massively multiplayer online Role Playing Game (MMORPG), I seriously not recommend playing this game but limit your knowledge to what this post gives you. I am trying to get myself out of it.

In actual research life I went out filming. We filmed crosswalks all across Minneapolis and it's suburbs to study vehicle behavior in various types of crosswalks. I worked with Curtis Hammond a researcher in the Human Factors Lab in the School of Kinesiology. The cameras did the filming and my code did the analysis; we were fooling around. He's a versatile person who taught me some basic martial arts skills like throwing a screwdriver or a knife at a tree. The important factor for successful nailing was the amount of rotation you offered versus the horizontal velocity. In other words, during the time of travel the knife should perform a 180 degree rotation or if you are an expert, make it rotate multiples of 180 degrees over long distances. I also learned to use a staff to block and parry. Curtis is an expert of sticky-punching, which according to him suits his personality because it's about parrying and avoiding blows and if possible break the enemy's arm as opposed to attacking. He says he would never harm someone however pissed off he is at him. He's one of those Americans who likes to make fun of Americans. According to him Americans are insensitive and selfish drivers. pfffff... dude! come watch us drive in India. Oh there's one thing he can't stand and drives him crazy ( actually me too) is talking on the phone while driving. I think people who talk on the phone while driving should be hanged without question.

In the WoW I am an expert at wielding staves and daggers. Oh wait! I am supposed to be out of it.

Towards the end of summer it became busy. I wrote two papers for the International conference on Robotics and Automation. I am not sure about their acceptance though. My professor thinks I am hardworking and I feel a little guilty about that. So it was all sun, fun and Blodirun in summer. There's not much sun and fun these days.. and hopefully not much of Blodirun too in the future.

8 comments:

Arun Annamalai said...

Guru,
Nalla enjoy panra..summer gone..
Have a great Winter..

But infosys nu sollita.. you have to take it back. Infoscions know that walmart & saravana comes under Retail sector.

Actually, in my employer, there is a domain called Retail, under which they do jobs for Retailers like walmart/best buy/ tesco. And More than 2000 were working under this domain. Also,saravana missed the oppurtunity of becoming client for my employer as they have almost zero clients/customers in India :)..

But I feel that it is unfair to compare an IT professional with the sales Person. Its just two kinds of Job, yaar..

melum.. comparing walmart with ss is like comparing U Of M with sathyabaama.

Pichai eduthaalum, kovilla pichai edutha, thani mathiputhaan.. :)

Naan solrathu sari thaana??

Anonymous said...

first of all ... there was no intent of creating controversy. i didnt wish to defame infoscions. i only question their attitude of wanting to be known as working for walmart... ( and i dont mean they are sales people... they are doing different stuff i am very much aware of). rather they shd be proud of the fact that they are working for infosys or tcs or cts... please try to understand what i write in face value and not try to read between the lines.. u know what i mean? nonetheless my opinion is of little or no significance to the importance of infosys to this world!

Anonymous said...

walmart is the super market with cheap prices... just as ss is in india. so it is a fair comparison. I am seriously not pissed/ not bothered if u compared uofm to sathyabama...thats just not an educated statement.

Arun Annamalai said...

If I have got it wrong in the first One, Sorry.

but again, I feel the controversy.
It's correct to say that their working place as Walmart.
The Answer here depends upon who asks the question & at where the question was asked.

if the question was before them when they were in India or by a walmart employee, the apt answer would be TCS or Infosys.
But, when asked by a USA residents, its natural to say Walmart, because its better relate to him. Also, They were not hiding something. and, There is no point of pride or patriotism here.

Its something similar to... when somebody asks you "where are you from?"
Just Imagine the answer when asked by a native of Chennai,Delhi and Arizona. The answer would be different. There is no reason to be proud in saying the answer.

Coming to uneducated statement..
I didn't had an intention to defame UOfM..
What I meant was.. it is unfair to compare walmart with SS and so does, UOfM with sathyabama.

SS & Walmart were just cheap retail store.. accepted.
UofM and sathyabama were universities that specializes in different levels of education.

But if we look into the details of both these pairs, it is not fair to equate both.

Then, In which way, my statement was uneducated?

please dont take it offensive..
Lets just beat the bore black and blue..

Anonymous said...

i think all u need to do is relax and not think too much

Arun Annamalai said...

Ok.. Free..

Thanks for the video. It's Fantastic.

The first mmorpg, I came across Ragnarok, online game play (remember "Vision".)

May be sometime, i will try out the game.. but not in near future..

Kay-K said...

so everybody living living their dream of californication??? when are you?
the matrix theory is called 'brain in a vat' google it.. expect a blog from me on that soon...

Anonymous said...

Kay K,
i might be visiting cal this winter da... and may be vegas... as far as settling.. i have different plans.. thought u knew ..


Pandi,
I dont recommend the game da..u will waste a lot of time.